Thursday, October 28, 2010

Christmas List of Gifts

Being determined to plan and prepare early for Christmas.
WHAT COMES FIRST, THE TURKEY OR THE TREE?


Rushing into things is not my forte. In fact, today I enjoyed my last miniature candy bar from the leftover treats and put away the plastic pumpkin.

Before I could find the Thanksgiving tablecloth – I heard it! What? Oh no, did I miss Thanksgiving and the turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce? Did I have a Rip Van Winkle experience? And the pie, did I miss the delicious pumpkin pie with whipped cream?

Stopping in my tracks to listen to Jingle Bells for the first time in 2007 it occurred to me that I wasn’t the one mixed up (a welcome change). It was the TV – it was the advertisers – it was the stores advancing the shopping season to get more “green” out of Christmas.

But it may turn out to be a good thing. After all, the early sales are percentage taken off the price of the new merchandise (as in available in all sizes and not picked over). I rush over to my computer desk to begin writing “The Christmas List.” This is the year of organization I tell myself smugly.


Those stores have nothing on me. I’ll make lists and be ready for every sale they have to offer. Gifts, food, paper supplies, a new outfit. Proudly I pat myself on the back as I begin to organize. Share my preparations – share my shopping lists and modify them to fit your situation.

THE CHRISTMAS LIST OF LISTS

In preparation, I take my charge cards out and line them up in front of the monitor. This will remind me not to overspend. I stifle a grin as I type the words:

SHOPPING LIST

    * Part One: Food
    * Part Two: Gifts
    * Part Three: Paper goods and miscellaneous items
    * Part Four: Clothes, shoes and other wearing apparel.
    * Part Five: Tree and decorations.

PLANNING LIST

    * Part One: Where will we celebrate.
    * Part Two: Will I get stuck cooking the dinner this year.
    * Part Three: Make a sub-list of programs and activities to schedule.
    * Part Four: Make a sub-list of Christmas Cards.
    * Write and mail Christmas Cards.
    * Part Five: Wrap gifts.
    * Mail out-of-town gifts.

HOME PREPARATION LIST

    * Part One: Make a sub-list of what needs cleaning.
    * Clean.
    * Part Two: Look over decorations.
    * Throw out junk.
    * Buy replacements for junk.
    * Decorate house-inside.
    * Nag husband to decorate house-outside.
    * Part Three: Help kids make out their lists.
    * Read their lists.
    * Figure out how large a loan you need to fulfill their lists.

FUN STUFF

    * Part One: Shop for a tree.
    * Decorate it together.
    * Part Two: Bake something, cookies, ornaments.
    * Part Three: Go Christmas Caroling.
    * Go ice-skating.
    * Visit Santa
    * Visit an elderly person in nursing home.
    * Donate a toy for a needy child.
    * Read Christmas stories to kids.

There, Christmas won’t sneak up on me this year I think while printing out the list to hang on the refrigerator. I’ll complete my lists and even have time to finish one of those fancy ornament craft kits.

As I visualize my competent self sticking pins through sequins and into a Styrofoam ball – the thought intrudes, “Oh my gosh what day is this. I have to immediately get busy planning our Thanksgiving dinner.”

No comments: